Saturday, October 20, 2007

Adults wearing costumes

Should adults dress up for Halloween? People have asked me what I am going to be for Halloween and so far all I can say is "A Concerned Parent."

Is there a cutoff age? It seems like you can get away with it through middleschool and then you get weird looks at the door. You know exactly what I am talking about....those high schoolers who show up at the door wearing what they wore to school and some stupid mask they bought at Hot Topic.

When you become an adult it suddenly becomes appropriate again to "dress up". You go to Halloween parties, and sometimes dress up for work. However, one my favorite comics, Lewis Black, said that adults should not dress up for Halloween because, as an adult, you can wear a costume whenever you want. If you wanted to go into work tomorrow dressed as Batman you could. Your boss will ask, "Who are you supposed to be" to which you would reply, "I....am Batman."

Halloween also seems to be a free pass to many women to dress less "scary" and more "slutty". Yes, Halloween is free reign to dress up as ho-ish as you want and no one is technically allowed to call you "slutty" because you are just wearing a costume. It is bascially an excuse to wear your lingerie outdoors and I, for one, am all for it.

3 comments:

Nortorious said...

So, I should wear my lingerie around outside? That ought to be, well, alarming. These days have passed, my bub, unless you want a temple fashion show.

Ellie said...

But what will you wear to Lenore's class to embarrass her in front of her students? Maybe HER underwear. Cute!

Camille said...

or her bikinis!